These are cafes and restaurants we hope to visit in the near future to sample some of our food favourites like coffee, hot chocolate or afternoon tea. Stay tuned for a review!
The Red Book recommends:
In Hobart, Australia
- Oomph (60 Liverpool Street). Number 12 in the Weekend Australian's list of the best coffee houses in Australia and after much average coffee while we were in Hobart we are gutted to have missed it!
- Villino (30 Criterion Street). Our coffee roasting friend has yet another great pick for coffee lovers in Hobart. Villino Espresso - run by Richard Schramm roasts his own beans and serves a great cup of coffee.
Elsewhere in Australia
- Market Lane (163 Commerical Road, South Yarra). A committed coffee roaster and connoiseur has told us that Market Lane (Shop 13 in the Prahran Market)is yet another must visit Melbourne coffee mecca.
- Square Mile. The best coffee roasters in the world?
- Tomtom Coffee House (114 Ebury Street, Belgravia). Specially sourced and roasted coffee and a superb selection of loose leaf teas make this a beverage heaven. They claim to make the finest cup of coffee in London (not as enormous a claim as it might sound given the average quality of dishwater coffee you get in this city!)
- Angelina (Paris). Beautiful tearoom with incredible hot chocolate served with a pot of cream. DIY ganache!
- The Fullerton Hotel (1 Fullerton Square, Singapore). Recommended by the head of the prestigious Tea Guild as having a fine afternoon tea.
In the USA
- Contigo (1320 Castro St, San Francisco). For divine tapas and a chocolate caliente that certainly looks like the real thing. You can read a review on the "No Salad as a Meal" blog. Note: the reviewer refers to this hot chocolate as a ganache – which would assume the introduction of cream to the melted chocolate. I for one would not protest at this, and it would of course help the chocolate stay liquid.
Please enter your comments in the feedback form below. Leave your email address if you′d like a reply (it will not be published or shared with anyone outside SomeonesGottaDoIt!).